Many times the young adult does not acknowledge the struggles they may be having or the need for professional help. This should not hold you back as a parent from seeking such help for yourself. A professional can help you learn how to cope with the frustrations and challenges you are facing with your young adult and how to take care of yourself. Here are some common indicators that the parent is suffering and may need to seek professional help regardless of the interest of the young adult in this.
- Mood concerns. Anger, resentment, hurt, frustration, sadness depression anxiety, worry fear, etc.
- Changes in daily functioning. Can’t work, concentrate, sleep disturbance, eating too much or too little.
- Changes in important relationships. Relationship with the young adult is not changing and is getting worse. The marital relationship is conflictual or strained. Relationships with other children in the family are affected. Feeling isolated and believing you are the only one with such a problem.
Family Counseling in Shoreview, MN
Don’t hesitate to call for a consultation or set up a counseling session to help you cope with the stress you may be experiencing with your young adult. Seeking help is not a sign of weakness but of strength in recognizing you may need another objective perspective and source of support.
For those who live in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, I am available to work with parents, the young adult and/or offer family counseling or therapy if the young adult is willing to participate. I also have a list of other providers who specialize in working with parents of adolescents and young adults. Beyond this, a website that may help locate a resource to work with you as a parent is www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists. You can plug in your zip code, and a list of therapists will be displayed. You can read about each therapist and choose one or two you might want to see. After doing this, call each of them, explain your situation, and ask how they might help you. After interviewing the two therapists, you can choose the one you felt most comfortable talking with and who presented the best approach to helping you.
If you would like to discuss options such as those outlined above, please contact me to set up an appointment – firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-486-0122 (ext) 2.
- What is the Goal in Counseling Parents of Young Adults? - July 12, 2021
- Is Your Young Adult Struggling with Depression or Failure to Launch? - July 1, 2021
- Is Your Young Adult Suffering From Anxiety or Failure to Launch? - July 1, 2021