Dr. Stoltzfus is available to provide therapy by teleconference or videoconference during the pandemic. His office in Shoreview is closed and not being used in the interest of safety for staff and clients. The focus of the therapy may be on the parents, the young adult or both parties. I will work with whoever is seeking and willing to receive help. Parents are often the first contact out of concern they have for their young adult but I also will work directly with young adults if they should want help. The goals are helping the parents balance support and letting go and enabling the young adult to make progress toward responsible independence. Typical examples of reasons parents contact Dr. Stoltzfus are:
- The young adult is living at home and relationships are strained.
- The young adult does not seem to be making progress toward responsible independence.
- The teen or young adult is unwilling to comply with basic house rules or expectations related to drug use, violence or threats of violence, stealing, or damage to property, etc.
- The teen/young adult clearly has a significant mental health or substance abuse problem and is not pursuing help.
- Parents are anxious and concerned about their teen/young adult child who is living away from home but failing in school, work or relationships.
- Parents feel challenged as to how much they should help their teen/young adult financially and in other ways allow them to struggle.
- A teen or young adult asks the parent for help and is willing to see a therapist.
All services are confidential and for any work with a young adult over eighteen, a release would need to be signed for disclosing any information that is shared in individual sessions. Both parents and the young adult can be assured of privacy and confidentiality per HIPPA standards.
Insurance will often cover the cost of these counseling sessions. If you are unsure as to whether Dr. Stoltzfus is in your insurance network, or whether insurance will cover teletherapy, please contact your insurance company. Also, if you want more information regarding Dr. Stoltzfus psychological services this can be found at Psychology Today.
To set up an appointment, contact Dr. Stoltzfus at: